Showers Must Be Before Noon

Today marks the end of my first week on the new job, staying at home. There are a few challenges I’ve experienced that I didn’t expect. The biggest challenge to overcome is the “Day Challenge“.
What is this you may ask? It’s the constant never ending feeling that “today is Saturday“. 

The Holiday this week didn’t help either with remembering time as my family was home with me in the middle of the week. (Although greatly appreciated that my family was!!!!)

Last night I had a very productive and yet relaxing day. This has also been a new concept difficult for me to grasp. One can be productive and not stressed? How is this so? I suffer from anxiety problems and spend much of my day feeling anxious. At home, I’ve found myself feeling anxious about not feeling anxious.Yes. It is that bad at times.

Maybe it’s partially because we’ve all been sick this week. Maybe it’s been going to bed at 11 and waking up at 5 or 6. Maybe it’s a lot of reasons, however, my entire family was asleep before 9 last night. Actually, my husband and I fell asleep on the couch before 8:30. I woke up long enough to make it to bed, remind him to set his alarm, and then fell back asleep. And slept until 6 this morning.

IT WAS MARVELOUS. I haven’t had that kind of peaceful rest in a long time.

Then I got up and fixed the hubs a quick breakfast. My son had already eaten so I made a mental note I have to get up a little earlier to fix him breakfast too. I drank my vinegar (for those who read my previous post – yes, I’ve been sticking to it!) and sat down to read some scripture, meditate on the word via blogging and have some prayer time.

When all was said and done, I felt incredibly relaxed. Happy. Peaceful. Content. Accomplished. AND IT WAS ONLY 10AM!!!!

Because yesterday was productive, I didn’t have a huge list of things to do today. I sat down to work on some budgeting (a vital piece of this whole one-income thing). Paid some bills. Checked over the shopping list for the grocery trip today. AND IT WAS ONLY 10:30AM!!!!!

Needless to say, I ended up sitting very happily and peacefully skimming through Netflix, finishing up some laundry, and planning a “fitness plan” for next week. I enjoyed some time. Part of it was the “today is Saturday” feeling. Then I realized there was another feeling creeping in. The “I’m on Vacation feeling“.

And I sunk into it.
I had all the best intentions to shower, dress, and go grocery shopping and be home by about one.
Vacation time completely knocked me out off schedule.
It was after 2 before I left the house.

I will say that it was fun getting the grocery shopping done alone. No trying to entertain an 11 year old boy who only enjoys the grocery store for the free cookie he can score in the bakery. No trying to maneuver through isles filled with shoppers with a small entourage in company. Taking all the time I want to price check, special check, window shop products I have absolutely no intention of buying, and all without worrying about anyone being bored, tired, frustrated, or annoyed. Ahhhhhh.

On the way home, I had two immediate thoughts:

  1. I must be showered and dressed for the day before noon. Really, I should probably make the goal before 9 on a regular basis and not just when I have plans that occur between 9 and noon. I feel like this will help me not fall into the timewarp of “vacation time” where hours suddenly disappear in a blink.
  2. We do not have to use our weekends to go grocery shopping. We do not have to use our weekends to do laundry. WE DO NOT HAVE TO USE OUR WEEKENDS TO CLEAN THE HOUSE.
That second thought is pretty spiffy. 

Career woman worked 40+ hours, plus had a 30-40 minute commute. Career woman would not be home until 5:30 or later, exhausted from the day, with very little left over to be enthusiastic, play, or clean. My husband has been working 50+ hours a week with a 45-60 minute commute. He gets home about the same time, however his day starts much earlier. The 11 year old never has cleaning or grocery shopping on the brain. 

This means our routine has been to get up Saturday, spend the first several hours cleaning to catch up on dishes, vacuuming, dusting, organizing, going through mail, etc. Spend much of the day doing laundry. Go to the grocery store to have food for the week. It left very little of the day to “play”. 

Now, it’s all already done. This is a VERY exciting revaluation for me.   It also makes me happy to see my family happy coming home to a clean and organized house. Sitting down eating dinner together without having to fight the growing pile of dishes at the sink. 

Then I realized another very happy thought. 
It brings me peace to serve my family in this way. A lot of peace. 
And then I realized that today, I didn’t feel a lot of anxiety. I felt happy. Relaxed. Hopeful. 

I have no idea what we are going to do as a family tomorrow, however, whatever it is, I’m excited!!!! As soon as the boys pulled into the driveway I met them at the door. I was happy to see them! My goal was not to overwhelm them with my burst of energy. 

The first week has went by well. I’m feeling excited about my new adventure. Happy. At peace. I know there will be financial sacrifices as we move forward. I know the impact won’t be truly felt for probably another month, yet, this to me is worth it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a hard working woman. If I need to step back into career woman mode to support and help my family, I will. No questions asked. I have just been given this opportunity to be a homemaker. And right now, I’m realizing how very thankful for it I am. I know after summer, I’m going to really start working on my novel. Set a goal to get it done. I’m looking forward to that too. 

So as I close with today’s adventures, I leave you with the following that I promised earlier. The fabulousness  of our coffee making in the morning.

Backstory: We got a coffee/espresso maker as a hand me down from my in-laws when our last coffee pot died. It had a tiny crack in the lid that didn’t effect it. Over time, that tiny crack became a bigger crack. And then eventually, that bigger crack became a lid that didn’t work anymore and broke in halves. My husband then used the tea pot to heat water and pour over the coffee grounds. It tastes delicious (we both think better than when the pot did work). It is a bit more time consuming, but it works. We have looked at many coffee pots to replace it, without finding any that we like enough to buy. At this point, we look at each other and say “what’s the point?”

Coffee pot with broken lid. Tea pot full of boiling water.

Pouring boiling water over coffee grounds. Wait to go down, pour again. Repeat until pot of coffee is made!

So this is now our coffee making system!

On that note, I’m going to hop off here to enjoy the rest of the evening with the family. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Blog Signature

One thought on “Showers Must Be Before Noon

  1. You missed your goal – I WAS overwhelmed with your energy as you bounced on the back porch – overwhelmed with joy to see you so energetic, at peace, and happy to see us. 🙂 Love you so much!

Have a Thought? Please Share!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s